[Rhodes22-list] Wiring Q. with the electric O/B lift

david.walker5 at comcast.net david.walker5 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 28 21:13:42 EDT 2009

On inboard engines and possibly bigger outboards with alternators, the rectifying diodes can be blown if the load is removed.  This is why battery switches for selecting battery banks (the off- 1-2-both switch) will usually be a make before break design and have warnings not to switch to off with the engine running.

Our small outboards don't have alternators and the currents are much lower so switching the battery off may not hurt it. Any way, its the diode that would blow, not the coil and they are relatively easy to replace.

Dave Walker