[Rhodes22-list] Wiring Q. with the electric O/B lift

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Sun Aug 30 10:44:38 EDT 2009

David,

I do not understand how a diode rectifier configured as a half-wave,
full-wave or bridge would be damaged if operated without a load.  These
outboards typically utilize a magneto design and should be perfectly happy
to operate in any condition, wired or not.  I think that Rummy was referring
to damage of the excitation winding of an alternator design if battery
voltage is continuously applied without the cooling provided by engine
operation.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY