[Rhodes22-list] cabin slider replacement

Jeff Kantor canusmajor54 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 30 22:15:51 EDT 2009

I am
looking for help and guidance. My ’73 (made in NJ) took on storm water, and
through a combination of cockpit drain line leaks and disconnections, sunk at
her mooring.  She actually floated on her side.  Even though the engine was in
the drink for a long time, the Nissan 2 stroke 8 cleaned up well and seems to be
OK.  Lots of mud!  Even mud rocks that came out of the mast tube! The only
mechanical problems were some broken standing rigging items and missing
cushions, floorboards, companionway hatch panels, and pop top sliding hatch.  I
contacted Stan and he kindly sent along replacement wood hatches and a
fiberglass sliding top.  The slider is too narrow for my boat.  It does fit more
recent production and is appropriate for that pop top.
As I
see it I have a few options.

1.   Does any one monitoring the list have a spare “wider” slider?  I need a hatch that is 41 1/2 inches wide.  BTW my slider fits in stainless steel tracks, not the
starboard type on current boats.
	1. Does
anyone have a spare complete pop top with the hatch.  I think it will fit my
boat.  Mine is 46 inches wide, 43" long at the slider rails, and about 46" at its fore/aft center.
	2. If
direct replacement is not an option, maybe I can split the slider Stan sent me
and bridge the gap with wood splints and fiberglass or starboard lay
up.  Does this seem practical at all?
	3. I’ll
be calling Stan at start of business tomorrow to see about his
resources.
Thanks….
 Regards,
Jeff Kantor