[Rhodes22-list] Call for Advice; depth sounder

Robert Fuller Bobandsandy at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Dec 4 15:36:49 EST 2009

Frank: Let me add my "welcome" to the chorus.
I also wanted more advanced warning than the centerboard and went for overkill with a forward-looking sonar.  At $800, it was a ridiculously expensive toy, but I have had as much fun with it as any gadget on the boat & it is even sometimes genuinely useful in my shoal waters.  Stan mounted it thru the laz.; so it reads and graphs the depth under the entire boat and 20 feet forward of the bow.  I don't think West Marine handles it anymore, but you can probably check out newer models @ www.echopilot.com.
BobF.