[Rhodes22-list] Call for Advice; depth sounder

Frank Tugwell ftugwell at cox.net
Fri Dec 4 21:02:34 EST 2009

Many thanks to those of you who responded to my call for advice.  I will
explore the archives with some care and see what else I can learn.  For now,
I think the 8 hp 4-stroke motor type that Stan recommended seems right.  As
does the blue color. And the bimini and the pop-top cover. I also think I
can use a depth sounder (beyond the centerboard solution suggested by Stan).
I am still concerned about motor controls, and guess I should check with the
manufacturers about these--since I have no experience with outboards.

The other matter I have been considering is the ground tackle issue.  I saw
a picture of a Rhodes with an anchor roller on the bow and have contacted
the owner but have no response yet.  If any list members have added a bow
roller to hold an anchor, I would appreciate knowing what you have used, and
any pictures you might have.  I anchor often (lunch, overnight)in muddy
areas and can't imagine leaning over the pulpit dragging up 40 lbs of sticky
anchor with chain and then trying to hang it up on the pulpit or the
forestay. A roller seems more civilized.  On my last boat I also had a wash
down pump to clean the foredeck and anchor.  It was an on-demand 12 v pump
that drew raw water from the marine head intake hose via a T connection.  I
attached a small hose to a connection on the foredeck when I wanted to use
it. This may be overkill for a small sailboat, but it is something I might
explore.  It did draw quite a bit of battery power...

Again, thanks to all for your welcome and suggestions.

Frank