[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring Re: Call for Advice; depth sounder

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Dec 4 21:29:24 EST 2009

Frank,
You may get varying advice on anchoring. We've been anchoring in the
Chesapeake for 20 years. First on a Com-Pac 16 and then on the
Rhodes. We've anchored in a fair number of creeks from Turner's Creek
on the Sassafras to Hudson Creek on the Little Choptank. I can only
tell you what has worked for us.

We had a Danforth type anchor that we really liked for the Com-Pac.
It was not really as large as you might like for the Rhodes but
because we were used to it we continued to use it.  We never liked
the R22 rode storage. Some people use it effectively. We didn't want
to be trying to get all that wet rode through the cowl vent into the
rode tray in the v-berth. Instead we used an anchor rode bag and put
the anchor and the rode (neatly flaked) into the bag. It gets store
in the lazarette and walked forward when needed. It can be deployed
from the cockpit in an emergency. It works well because it is always
the 2 of us.

After being out in a couple of T-storms with 45 knot gusts we decided
at the very least we would add more chain to the Danforth. We only
dragged once (and we had four other R22s rafted to us at the time)
but it seemed prudent to increase out holding power. With more chain,
the Danforth held really well but was now hard for me to carry
forward because of the weight.

A couple of years ago we decided to regroup and bought a Fortress. We
put the recommended amount of chain on it (I think 6 feet). There is
an art to setting it but it holds really well and is easy to walk
forward. Its only downside is that it doesn't fit neatly in the rode
bag but the arrangement is still workable. On the plus side, the very
first time we anchored out with it, we had a 180 degree wind shift
and then wind increased to where we had nearly 1 ft. waves in the
anchorage. It was at night in a strange creek. We reduced windage
(put the bimini and poptop down) and let out scope to 10 to 1 and
stayed up on anchor watch from  8 to midnight when the winds finally
died down. The good news is that while we were very anxious, the
anchor didn't budge.

One of the nice things about the Fortress is that the really smooth
surface sheds mud fairly well. I take a gallon bucket on a rope up on
the foredeck with me when I am going to haul the anchor. I'm usually
able to get rid of most of the mud by dunking the anchor up and down
a few times (like you would a tea bag). The bucket takes care of the
rest - mostly on the chain and the shackle. When everything is all
cleaned up it's easy to walk it back to the cockpit.

Works for us.

Again, best wishes with the new boat.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless