[Rhodes22-list] Condensation

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Sat Dec 5 11:58:26 EST 2009

Update to my condensation issue.  Went to the boat yesterday and found a bit
of condensation on the cabin ceiling but only about a quart of water in the
bilge, better than the gallon or so I had last time.  I have taken
everything movable off the  boat including the anchor rode tray and
installed the Nicro day/night plus 3" solar vent.  I was hoping that the 3"
vent would be able to snap into the 3" cowl vent thru deck fittings but this
installation required me to completely remove the cowl vent and replace with
new thru deck plates that came with the nicro vent.  Removal of the cowl
vent and installation of the nicro vent was easier and smoother than I
expected.  Yesterday was cloudy and today looks like several inches of snow.
I will have to wait for a sunny day to charge the solar battery and see if
the vent reduces my condensation issue.  Will provide an update after the
fan starts running.

The sketch enclosed is a view from my slip, bet it looks a bit different
today with the first snow of the season.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p26657286/IMG_1201rr.jpg

Chris Cowie
2009 R22 Opus
HHN

Chris, have you tried the solar powered Nicro vent?

Chances are, your boat is heating up in the day and the cool air at night on
the outside of the hull is creating the condensation inside.  You won't be
able to make the boat airtight.  Venting the moist air out with an improved
airflow seems to be working for me.

Dave

David Bradley
+1.206.234.3977