[Rhodes22-list] Call for Advice; depth sounder

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Sat Dec 5 13:33:25 EST 2009

 Frank,

  Since nobody else is worried about spending your money,I might as well
help you empty your wallet. The pop-top is a must for a overnight,as far
as I'm concerned.The bimini is also very nice,there are atleast two ways
to mount it,one is to permently mount it to the gunnels,like on most
boats. The other way mounts it on sliders that slide on the jib sheet
block "T" track, making it moveable fore and aft the length of the T
track. Mine is on the T track and I enjoy the options it provides.
On the anchoring issue,keep in mind I sail on a small,well protected lake
with a 10 HP limit,so waves ,wakes and tides aren't an issue. For a lunch
hook,I use a 8lb folding grapnel,with 100' of rode in a bucket,that I
store in the lazz.For overnight,I use a fortress with 150' of rode,that is
kept in a Rubbermaid storage container,under the starboard seat,aft.I
almost always throw the anchor over the starboard gunnel just forward of
the stern rail,letting out the wanted scope,but saving at least 30' of
rode,in case I want to walk the rest of the rode forward to attach to the
bow cleat. On the Rhodes,with the pop -top up,you can coil the rest of the
rode and walk into the cabin,threading the rode around the shrouds and lay
the rest of the coil in front of the mast.Then ,if you want to anchor from
the bow,you can walk forward,with both hands free to hang on to the
shrouds for balence,and then cleat off the rode on the bow. To remove the
hook,I grab the rubbermaid container from under the seat,walk it thru the
cabin and set it in front of the mast from inside the cabin then walk
forward around the side of the boat and flake the rode in the container as
I pull it in.

Jerry Lowe

S/V Country Rhodes '86