[Rhodes22-list] Hello, from new member

BenCittadino bencittadino at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 18:14:45 EST 2009

Hello Derek (and Frank too);

Derek, if you are really starting from square one you need to explore boat
registration requirements in your state. Here in Jersey it's done through
the MVC but that may vary (where are you? I missed it).

Then you need to see  if there are any license or safety course
requirements. Again in Jersey the jet ski folks have spoiled it for the rest
of us by killing themselves on a fairly regular basis, leading to bothersome
safety course and boat driver license requirements that didn't exist just a
few years ago.

Then you need to start reading (winter is a great time for that). Get
yourself a Basic Keelboat primer, which will give you all the terminology
and good summary's of sailboat physics.

Then, depending upon where you'll be I would buy a book describing the
"rules of the road", and an idea of basic piloting (red, right, returning
and stuff like that).

If you're going to be around bridges that have to open or areas under Coast
Guard jurisdiction you're going to need a marine radio (they're cheap and
come in walky-talky type styles now), and at least a compass.

Check out the owner's manual mentioned elsewhere on this thread and make
sure you have life jackets, a bucket, flares, throwable life preserver and
have fun.

Call if you need help. The people on this list have been very helpful to me
in the year or so I've been around.

BenCittadino
S/V Susan Kay (1993 Rhodes recycled 2008)

PS- One more thing. This list is sort of like a sailor's bar. You can talk
about anything one would talk about in a place like that. People post jokes
and stories, and artwork too. Some of it is quite entertaining. There's even
a guy named "Bigal" who just loves it when people post political diatribes.
He finds the debate stimulating. Have at it.