[Rhodes22-list] Kindle versus Sony Touch Reader, Experience?

Ben Schultz benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Fri Dec 18 11:08:27 EST 2009

I've been watching the e-reader market for a while, looking for my dream
gadget.  We're not quite there, but we're getting close.  I don't have a
permanent desk.  I work at client A's office one day, client B's the next,
from the boat occasionally, or from my dining room table if it's raining.
Right now, I'm "working" from the atrium of a hotel in the French Quarter
(pic attached).

The drawback is that I lug around a zillion-pound bag full of technical
books, printed PDFs, and magazines.  I'd like to get an e-reader that would
hold them all, give me a way to organize them, search indexes across
multiple sources, be lightweight, have a sharp easy to read screen (and it's
got to be in color if I'm going to read magazines there), automatically load
new issues of magazines and newspapers as they are published, and have
enough battery to go at least 10 hours between charges.

A bright, sharp color screen is probably the biggest holdup.  There's a new
one out in Japan that supposedly fits the bill, but it's still around $1000,
and set up for Japanese content (I would assume).

The application for us would be great -- Coast Pilots with the bridge
schedules and VHF channels (I refer to that in a PDF on my phone now), the
detailed instruction doc for raising and lowering our masts, Chapmans (like
John mentioned) to see if that boat's odd light pattern means "Vessel
engaged in mine sweeping" (my favorite of the light patterns -- get the heck
away from that one if you see it in your local lake or bay), not to mention
something for pleasure reading while you wait for your hung-over admiral to
wake up and be ready to set sail after a night at anchor.