[Rhodes22-list] The Unsinkable Rhodes

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Dec 21 15:21:15 EST 2009

Lee,

A cover probably won't keep it from breaking since the two that I have
broken cracked at the through hole for the bolt (rotted out).  When I
recovered from the fact that they broke (a bit scary at first when under
full sail), I was able to insert the remaining portion in the vertical
plates of the rudder assembly and keep sailing with a shorter tiller and the
bolt removed.

The main problem is that when they start to deteriorate, they become very
rough and the attached hardware (tiller tamer, hiking stick & click, etc.)
loosens up or falls out.  Of course, if you cover or varnish the tiller
regularly, I am told that none of this ever happens.  I have replaced the
tiller four times in 29 sailing seasons on my '81 and sanded and refinished
it more time than I wish to think about.  I have two tillers that I
regularly sand and varnish that I swap during the season (so that I may work
on one while using the other.)

It seems that we need a better material so that I may spend more time
sailing and less time maintaining.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY