[Rhodes22-list] electrical wiring diagram

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Sat Dec 26 17:35:26 EST 2009

Rob:

Thanks for the reply and compliment, not very often an engineer has
something nice to say to an architect.

1. Battery #1 seems pretty clear and correct in my diagrams.

2. I am pretty sure that the solar panels do connect direct to the starter
battery as your notes suggests.

3. I see three white wires coming out of the switch, one clearly goes to the
top part of the bus that I assume is the positive side of the bus, the other
two I assume go to each of the batteries in order to control how and what
power is available at the bus.

4. I always thought that white wires were supposed to be positive and  black
negative?  The water pump with in line fuse and macerator pump with in line
fuse are clearly connected each with a white wire to the top of the bus what
I beleive is the positive side.  That leaves me with two more white wires
coming out of the top of the bus, one I assume goes tot he main breaker
panel, not sure were the other one goes unless is also feeds the breaker
panel.

My batteries are only charged by the solar panels and the outboard and so
far my first season this has been quite adequate to serve my electrical
needs.  I single hand sail and while I had about seven overnight trips this
past season I don't use much power.  My biggest draw is the electric start
and outboard lift, occassional sink pump, gps and vhf that don't draw much.
I might eventualy add a shore power charger.  I do have shore power but only
for AC convenience outlets while plugged in.  The AC does not run unless I
am plugged into shore power, no innverter.

I will try to clean up these diagrams and post them to the site so others
can use them.  I notice other sailing forum such as the catalina seem to
have more detailed information about their boats than the R22 does, however
they don't seem to have as lively a group as we do.  Thanks again for the
input.