[Rhodes22-list] electrical wiring diagram

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Dec 28 08:48:49 EST 2009

Chris,
Glad you took the compliment as intended.

3.  Sounds correct to me.  these should be larger wires to since they go to the batteries.

3. I see three white wires coming out of the switch, one clearly goes to the
top part of the bus that I assume is the positive side of the bus, the other
two I assume go to each of the batteries in order to control how and what
power is available at the bus.

4.  I always thought the same.  I'm talking house wiring code though, which might not agree with marine codes.  Regardless, I wouldn't get hung up on the color of the wires.  And yes, your inline fuses should be on the positive side.  I'd suggest of your last two wires, one goes to the breaker panel and the last goes to your radio??  I think Rick suggested that radios were direct wired (and independently fused).  Can you turn your radio on when your breaker panel is off?  If so, your radio is not wired to your panel.

This article from Sail has a diagram that really doesn't fit your particular situation, but it shows how such electrical diagrams are presented.  It also discussed the four position battery switch which your boat has.  From what I've read, Nieslen's quite good on boat electrical systems.  He's even trying to install a hybrid power system in a boat.

http://sailmagazine.com/boatworks/electronics/battery_management_system/

- Rob