[Rhodes22-list] Compression Repair and Addition of Compression Post

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Feb 5 08:01:28 EST 2009

David,

Nice job!  This appears to be a good solution to the problem that has
plagued you since you bought the boat.  I understand your statement "the
hand tight shrouds match correspondingly in tension and length from the
chain-plates for the first time since I've owned the boat. (The port shrouds
were always a slight bit shorter)"  These observations are usually a good
clue to something being "not quite right" structurally.

Did the yard check the structure below the floor?  On these older boats, it
has been common for the stringers to compress under load due to water damage
in the forward area of the cabin bilge, permitting the cabin sole to sag,
particularly if the boat was stored on the trailer with the bow lower than
the stern permitting rainwater accumulation in this area.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY

From: "David Culp" Thursday, February 05, 2009 12:49 AM