[Rhodes22-list] Question About Re-bedding windows and hatches

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Fri Feb 6 01:07:39 EST 2009

Whenever I wash the boat deck, I always go inside the cabin and look for
water leaks.  Well, today I found one.  A forward window had popped a screw
and the window edge had pulled away slightly from the hull enough to leak
some water.  I pulled the window out, scraped off the old bedding material,
applied new sealant and re-installed it.  It is not a hard job to do,  just
time consuming scraping off the old stuff.
My question is:  My boat is 11 years old-should I preventively start pulling
the windows and hatches and re-bed them or just wait for leaks and then do
it?  I would much prefer the later, but wondered what everyone else is doing
in this regard.

Thanks,
David