[Rhodes22-list] Compression Repair and Addition of CompressionPost

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Feb 6 08:40:00 EST 2009

David,

I keep looking at your photos for an explanation and I believe that the
cause of the failure may be documented in the photo labeled "shimpost.jpg"
from your website (see attached photo.)  The more I think about it, the more
I am inclined to think that it is a failure of the deck structure.  Your
boat has two hatches, one either side of the mast, with a small ribbon of
deck between them to support the mast.  It appears to be no wider than about
a foot and the mast is offset about a foot towards the stern from the
support column.  This transfers all of the mast load (static and dynamic) to
this small portion of deck material.  I wonder if the load exceeded the
capability of the deck materials, without a plate to spread the load.  Your
solution to add another column achieves a bridge effect, bolstering the
weakened ability of the deck to carry a substantial load.

The questions are: Was the boat manufactured this way?  Were the hatches
factory installed?  Was the mast always IMF?  Did water intrusion into the
deck, possibly from a leak near the hatches, compromise the deck load
bearing ability?  Was the mast overloaded due to collision with a fixed
object or overtensioning of the stays?  Is the hardware attached to the mast
(furling genny or IMF) affixed improperly or damaged creating a repetitive
motion (excessive movement and noise while at anchor) able to drive the mast
(hammer) into the cabin top?

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY