[Rhodes22-list] Compress repair and addition of compression post

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Fri Feb 6 15:13:32 EST 2009

Mike:

To answer your questions:

Yes, from what I can tell, the boat was manufactured with the two forward
opening hatches and they were factory installed.

Yes, always been an IMF from everything I can tell.

I can find no water intrusion from either hatch.  There is no soft deck feel
anywhere, specifically around the hatches.

The mast step is secured to the deck-top atop a glassed-in block secured by
only three screws.  My understanding is that this is engineered on purpose
so that if you do hit an obstruction the screws breakaway instead of
damaging the cabin top.  There is absolutely no sign that these screws have
ever been pulled out or replaced. The IMF mast I own has never hit anything.
 There is no sign of damage anywhere on it and it is perfectly true.  I am
sure you have seen bent masts before as have I and you can never get them
back perfectly like this one is.

There is no repetitive motion or other hardware issue exerting force on the
area.  I always insure that I loosen the back stays and take that pressure
off the mast step when not in use.

I may pull a hatch and just look to see if there is any damage in the core-I
don't know if I will be able to see anything looking in between the top and
the liner but the hatches will need to be re-bedded sometime anyway.  I just
hate to mess with something that is not leaking.  If it ain't broke, don't
fix it and just go sailing.

I'm not an engineer but I'll tell you what I think.  I don't think there is
anything wrong with the design of the boat including having the hatches cut
into the cabin top.  There are too many of them out there sailing just fine
with no problems.  I think that perhaps the back stays have been
over-tensioned over the years and/or left fully tensioned while the boat was
slipped or dry sailed.  I think this is a no-no on this boat because the
forestay is slack unless you tension it up with the back stays.  And when
the boat is slipped, there is no wind in the jib to offset the back stays.
 Conversely, the other stays are offset by their opposite side stay.  So
there is still a lot of force from the sides on the mast but you don't have
the lever effect like you do on the back stays; and the cabin top is not
normally supported behind the bulkhead, so you have a big lever with nothing
opposing it (with the jib furled) or supporting it and it's pulling the mast
back and down.  I always make sure that the tension is off the back stays
when not sailing.

Let's hope this was the problem and not water damage.  There is
an explanation and I will get there even through process of elimination if
need be.  In the meantime, it is solid as a rock now.

David