[Rhodes22-list] Compression Repair and installation of Compression Post

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Sun Feb 8 10:21:57 EST 2009

The saga continues....
I pulled the starboard hatch yesterday and had a good look at the deck
supporting the mast step.  First off, my boat appears to be cored with foam
instead of wood.  Looks like there might be a small piece of plywood core
near the SB forward chain-plate but that's it.  There is no damage and no
water intrusion except just a little stain at one corner where it may be
starting to get through the bedding.  I re-bedded it and it is good to go.
 I will try to do the other side today unless we get some much needed rain.

One of the dock hands where I slip suggested I use WD-40 to help release the
old caulk and that seemed to work.  I also covered the bottom of the hatch
opening with duct tape strips with the adhesive side up.  This captures all
the debris that you generate when you scrape off the old caulk.  Then you
cover it with paper towels which also stick and then roll it up as you are
peeling it off.  No mess at all!  I like Stan's idea of gaskets-but too late
for me this time around as I want to pull the other side and have a look at
the deck structure from that side.

More to come...

David