[Rhodes22-list] Compression Repair and Addition of Compression Post

Andrew Collins sailingvesselcarmen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 21:36:19 EST 2009

David

Sorry to respond to this post so late, but due to travel and work it all got
delayed. The repair work you did looks like it solved the deck deflection
problem - very nice job.
 My boat is an '86 recycled in '06 with the unenclosed head - it has a
curtain. The compression post is aft of the mast step, and I get a seasonal
deflection where the mast step plate depresses downward toward the bow. It
is not as severe as the conditiion your photos show, and the deck returns to
the correct shape while the mast is stepped during the off season and she is
on the trailer on the hard. The only reason I noticed it was because, like
your boat there are 2 hatches, there was some rainwater coming in from where
the hatch gaskets no longer touched the deck, leaving a 1/4" gap.
Michael W's comments below seem right on - the 2 hatches  leave a small
bridge and a little added support is required.

Seeing your results will probably inspire me to install a remedial support
of some kind as well.

Thanks for the post (pun intended)!

Andrew Collins
s/v Carmen