[Rhodes22-list] Need to replace Hatch

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Feb 24 22:22:15 EST 2009

Greg,

Welcome to the R22 list and congratulations on your new project.  Hopefully
you will find some time to actually sail her.

Most of us have replaced our plywood hatches at least once.  I am on my
third wooden one on my '81.  After replacing the teak veneer plywood version
twice with the same, I found that one could do a better job with birch
veneer, stained and finished with spar varnish.  The varnish stands up to
the weather much better than the teak veneer ever did.  I also have a
version made of white 1/2 inch "starboard", a fairly expensive nearly
indestructible composite material that doesn't look as nice as the stained
wood, in my opinion.

The hinge not only kept the two pieces together in storage but also
permitted the hatch to be folded at an angle (almost 90 degrees) so that the
upper portion was supported by a leg to the cockpit floor, to function as a
serving table from the galley.  If you do not desire this, there is no
reason why it couldn't be two pieces.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY