[Rhodes22-list] Andrew C.'s Question about compression post...

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Jan 1 09:03:47 EST 2009

Andrew:

I have arrived back in South Carolina to find a spat on the old list.  Even
Ben C. before he left suggested part of my reply, that is check the
archives.

There is a history of the compression post and issues.   For example, David
Culp of Texas bought a used R22 that had compression issues.

Stan has repsonded on this subject in the past.

As an engineer, the term compression post should help you understand that
some compression is normal and that is why the post is there.  It is my
opinion that .25 inches is nominal flex for FRP cabin tops.  You would have
to do a study of whether that is standard or an issue for the R22.

Having moved compression posts on other sailboats, my experience is that
they are tighter, meaning that even with mast removed, cannot easily be
moved without raising the cabin top at least an 1/8th of an inch or more.
So, consider that your compression post is too short?  You would only need a
shim to correct and not a highly engineered stainless steel piece.

The tabernacle is attached using wood screws for reasons explained by
Commodore Spitzer in the past.

Maybe you need a short vacation to get away from other worldly issues an
spend a few days as a 'worker bee' in Stan's shop.  Then such little issues
would be put in perspective.

So, tell us how are the roads?

Ed K
Addendum:  "My final word is that in the battles that confront us today for
America's freedom and welfare, our chief aim as public-spirited citizens
must be neither to avoid trouble, nor to stay out of jail, nor even to
preserve our lives, but to keep on fighting for our fundamental principles
and ideals."  Corliss Lamont