[Rhodes22-list] is there a metallurgist in the house?

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Sat Jan 3 12:03:14 EST 2009

Hi John,
For some reason there is almost  complete agreement in the steel guitar
community that dry lubricants should not be used.  I'm not sure why.
In the world of pianos, it is completely opposite.  I guess it is a wood
versus metal thing.  Liquid oil and wood don't mix.
I did a quick search for lubrication between aluminum and steel and
found that there is a wealth of research on the subject.  Unfortunately,
most of it is unintelligible since the terms used are chemical names and
do not call out brand names.  Brad's flow chart for LPS comes closest to
being helpful, but I think I may stick with sewing machine oil.
Joe