[Rhodes22-list] Boat Equipment

michael meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Sat Jan 3 17:02:00 EST 2009

inline

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of cowie
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2009 9:45 AM
To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Boat Equipment

I need to send Stan a few items to build into my new Rhodes 22 and after
researching the archives and receiving input have decided on three items.
1. Bulkhead Compass
http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|17|8357&id=8391
I like the Contest 130, the biggest card(the one I bought), the 101 is good
so is the saturn (it an issue of eye site)

2. Garmin 545S GPS
I would not do this, I would go with bulkhead st60 for speed and depth, it
readable from the bulkhead.

I would get a handheld gps/charts, the issues I find is the screen is to far
away to read and you would have to leave the tiller to use this unit, also
the mapping  keeps changing so your are not "locked into holes in the boat"

3. VHF Radio ICOM M422 with DSC
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|295760|69543&id=69674
You want this antenna and pay up for low loss coax,
The issues is the fix mount anatana is 35 feet off the water and has the
power to reachout if needed, because it on the main battery you will run it
for "weather alter" and keep an eye on the coast guard channels, the down
side is it hard to hear from the tiller and you need to leave the tiller to
use it, still get the fix mount. But you might want to also get a "remote
mic or wireless mic"
Also look at
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|301236|29102|441542&id=96692
6
with at AA battery tray.

Using the setup outline above,
You can dead recon home using the compass, st60 and charts.
You could get home with the handheld chart plotter.
You could reachout with the fix mount(BTW I still think the GC is lacking
behind DCS) and keep on top of the weather
You have a backup hand held vhf/gps with DSC and some chart will get you
home with a complete ecitrical failure.
You spent about the same amount.

Think about it

I believe the radio can be connected to the Garmin gps to allow my position
to be broadcast and I like this safety feature.  I plan to have the bulkhead
compass installed on the Port bulkhead and the gps on the Starboard
bulkhead, the radio inside the cabin on the starboard side.  I also plan to
have a transducer mounted inside the hull. I have seen recent discussions
about the various mounting options and think this is a good compromise in
order to not cut a hole in the hull.

My question is which compass to purchase.  I see that many rhodies like the
Plastimo Contest 101 bulkhead compass however also notice that some think it
is too small.  The Plastimo Contest 130 seems like the next logical step up
and I am leaning toward this model in order to have better visibility from
the helm.  Does anyone have the Contest 130 and do you think it is too big?

Thanks

Plastimo 101 link

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/
21399?&cid=chanintel&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=21399

Plastimo 130 link

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|17|8357|8391&id=82623