[Rhodes22-list] Computer Question

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Sun Jan 4 11:41:19 EST 2009

The Adobe Reader became ubiquitous back when Netscape started
including it as part of their download package.  As others followed
suit, it became the de facto standard for reading PDF files because it
could be found on almost any computer.  But as the software became
more bloated with extraneous features it got harder to keep
compatibility.  People often had Acrobat Reader installed on their new
PCs and never bothered to upgrade until they got a PDF that would not
open.  By then you're 3 or 4 versions behind and the upgrade got
messy.  So... 3rd parties filled the gaps with PDF readers that were
just basic rendering machines without all the bells and whistles.

So, unless you get a document that requires some specific Adobe
feature, there's no reason to install it.  Macs, for example, come
with "Preview" and it handles PDFs just fine, no need to install
Acrobat Reader.  If you get software that requires Acrobat Reader, go
ahead and let it install.  Then go back into your "File Types"
definition and repoint PDF files to Foxit (or whatever you're using).
The software will be happy because it still sees Acrobat Reader, but
PDF handling will be primarily handled by Foxit, so you sidestep Adobe.

Cheers!
John Lock
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22
Lake Sinclair, GA