[Rhodes22-list] Cleaning below the waterline

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Jan 7 22:58:21 EST 2009

Be very careful about periodic cleaning below the waterline if you use an
ablative paint for protection from sea life such as barnacles.  Constant
scrubbing can remove enough material that barnacles may get a foothold.  I
use two coats of paint and have still had problems in the LI Sound.  We
put-in in late April or early May and generally do not haul until late
October.  We need all the hull protection that we can get.  I stick to
cleaning above the waterline, unless it is just to knock off some mussels
that are trying to hitch a ride.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Daniel Johnson" <djohnson0671 at gmail.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 07,
2009 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] To Deploy & Board An Inflatable from a Rhode

{clip}

The inflatable proved to be a great help in keeping the hull clean.  Our
boat is in a slip
at Solomons in Maryland and during the summer we found it helpful to go
around the boat about once a week with a brush and cleaning off the
waterline from the inflatable - with the brush on an extension I can reach
all the way to the keel.