[Rhodes22-list] Cleaning below the waterline

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Jan 8 08:27:07 EST 2009

Mike, you are right about the need to be careful with an ablative but
most years in the Chesapeake, cleaning below the waterline, or at
least at the waterline is a necessity if you don't use your boat
every week. That said, I don't think I would do it every week unless
I was racing and in that case I wouldn't be using an ablative paint.
If we aren't using the boat much, we get a heavy layer of growth that
can be brushed off without scrubbing too hard and a few large
barnacles that can be knocked off.  When we are diligent about such
things we brush the waterline and about a foot below once or twice a
season. For a relatively clean bottom we should do it a bit more
often or sail more or both. I think sailing more is the better option
but some times it's just not in the cards.

We used to use Woolsey's Neptune II waterbased ablative. It seemed to
work really well on the Chesapeake and we would get at least two
seasons out of it. Then (of course) they didn't make it anymore. Last
time we used Petit Hydrocoat. I don't think it worked as well (less
copper) but it was still satisfactory. We need to do some research.
It's time for another bottom paint job and there seem to be more
water based alternatives. We like the water based because it is a
little easier on the person doing the application.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD