[Rhodes22-list] Weather Re: Political Reply to Michael Wager...

Metaphor mwager at bluecrab.org
Sat Jan 10 15:57:10 EST 2009

Mary Lou Troy-2 wrote:

> The more I live here the more I appreciate microclimates in general
> and this one in particular. We are 25 miles from Baltimore (but on
> the other side of the Bay) and less than 90 miles south of where we
> used to live in PA. It's drier than Baltimore and less snowy and icy
> than PA. It's no hotter in the summer than the Philadelphia area but
> it warms up more quickly in the spring and we have a later frost in
> the fall. And while we have a few ugly hot days we don't have nearly
> as many as my daughter does in Eastern NC.

I've been on the Eastern Shore for 25 years, and I still miss the snow.
There's something about a good foot to two (four) foot snowfall that stirs
the rooted memories of my youth, and we haven't had that much snow here on
the Shore in too many years. I haven't been able to strap on my
cross-country skis to  ride the frozen creeks here in several years  It's
all the more bittersweet when my son, who absolutely despises snow, is
getting a good layering today in Rochester NY where he goes to school.  I'm
hoping to get my fix in February when my good (right-wing conservative
fundamentalist Christian) friend and I head up to Lake Placid for our annual
ice-fishing weekend.  But then again, an hour ago, I was sitting out on his
dock enjoying a pint of home made stout, watching and listening to the
tundra swans and geese banter back and forth... I wouldn't be doing that
anywhere in Upstate NY today.

elle wrote:

> Have you raised any of your own oysters?

I have, but not here on my creek.  For several years, an Ecology Club that I
help to sponsor with a group of high school students have managed pvc spat
beds around Oxford, Md for the Horn Point Lab.  As for eating a filter, all
I can say is "mmmmmmmm..."