[Rhodes22-list] Non-sailing Spouses

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Fri Jan 16 12:21:48 EST 2009

Yes, I think that's true.  Although at this early stage in our sailing
experience it's hard to tell if her confidence will get reset over
winter or not.  Spring will tell.  Thanks for the tip.  That is
something we have done and it has been helpful.  Gusty winds are the
worst because she hasn't learned to react fast enough to release the
mainsheet.  She also needs to read water and other signs for a wind
change.  It's a lot to absorb when you're nerves are already jangly.

Cheers!
John Lock
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22
Lake Sinclair, GA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Jan 16, 2009, at 12:10, elle wrote:
> John,
>
> I always found that when we were new sailors I was less confident
> early in the season (after winter's layover) than later in the
> season after being out frequently.
>
> We may have discussed this before...but have you tried giving her
> the mainsheet & allowing her to spill wind if she becomes
> uncomfortable? You won't make much headway, but just the feeling of
> being in control and staying comfortable may help her to acclimate...
>

> elle
>
> We can't change the angle of the wind....but we can adjust our sails.
>
> 1992 Rhodes 22   Recyc '06  "WaterMusic"   (Lady in Red)

>>> 2 Ambivalent about sailing