[Rhodes22-list] Whisker Poles?

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri Jan 16 14:09:31 EST 2009

Andrew,

Here's an old post from Rummy:

R22RumRunner wrote:

>  Lee,
> Captain Keller and I both use the Forespar small twist  lock  pole
> that
goes

> from 6 to 12 feet. It has a snap lock on  one  end (boat end) and a
> spike on the
> sail end. It is   relatively inexpensive so if you lose it overboard
or
> happen
>  to  break it the pain of replacing it won't be so great.
>  Forespar part # 406000
> WM part # 111179
> Back  when I bought  mine they were around $125.00. Now they are
> closer  to

> $150.00,  but it really is a worthwhile expenditure.  Everyone knows I

> don't  go for the gadgets because  they either break or are in the
> way,  but this is
> one
> piece of hardware I use a lot. It will  store nicely in the  storage
> compartments on either side  of the V  berth.
> I placed a hook on the front of the mast, but have  never  used it. I
> usually
> attach it to a lower part of a   shroud which is more easily
accessible from
> the
>   cockpit  when under sail. I find it to be fun to experiment with.
> It  really stretches out the 175 and makes it an  awesome sight  going

> wing on wing.
> Try
> that  in 10  mile an hour winds  and you will understand what extreme
> sailing  is
> all   about. I have actually buried the bow before I was  able to
release
>  everything  and turn upwind. Washed the  decks clean and even cleaned

> the carpet in
> the   cabin. :)
>
>  Rummy

Even though this is a lighter pole, it's still pretty heavy duty,
especially if it's not fully extended.  However, I haven't used it in
heavy winds yet.

If they make a 5-10 length or even a 4-8 foot length, it might be long
enough; especially if you attach it to the outer shroud.  12' is too
long to be used from the outer shroud to the Genoa clew.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD