[Rhodes22-list] Height of pulpit?

Linda Scott lscott02 at roadrunner.com
Sat Jan 17 11:54:56 EST 2009

Carl,

I fabricated a new bow pulpit this fall for our 1984 Rhodes 22.  I used
aluminum electrical conduit, which is very close to the diameter of the
original aluminum tubing and is easy to bend (I could reuse the old cast
aluminum sockets that are bolted to the deck.  Aluminum rivets retain the
tubing in the sockets.)  Since we have no need to hang an anchor from the
pulpit, I duplicated the design of the pulpit on the Precision boats, or a
Colgate 26.  This design doesn't overhang the bow, so the tubing's less
vulnerable.  Of course, the pulpit won't act as a bumper, either.

I had a crosspiece tig-welded between the two legs.  This makes it
easier to support and contain the mast when the boat is being trailered.
The new bow pulpit might look best if you can match the height of the stern
rail, if your boat still has it.

I think this modification looks pretty good and the pulpit will be more
functional for our needs.  I don't have any photos; the boat's under tarp &
snow right now.  The Colgate 26 website has photos of what I tried to copy.

Steve