[Rhodes22-list] Trailering a Rhodes

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Jan 19 23:02:55 EST 2009

Wally,

Welcome to the list.

> Can you sail it right on to the trailer?
This is the only way to trailer a Rhodes 22.  The standard trailer is a
"float on" with a ten foot extension tongue to permit the trailer to be deep
enough into the water without converting your tow vehicle to a boat as well.
The trailer uses fixed "bunks" not rollers to support the Rhodes 22.  When
recovering, the bunks are nearly all the way into the water so that the boat
just slides into place.  The winch is used to pull the craft to the correct
position for proper tongue weight.

> How often can you not sail it right on?
Safely sailing onto the trailer is a function of water depth, wind and
current.  You may need a steep ramp depending on the water level at your
recovery location.  The depth of the water may also be affected by tides.
Those of us on the north shore of the LI Sound have 7-8 foot tidal changes
so we need to wait for high tide to recover.

If the wind or current is strong, you may need to sail at an angle to the
trailer rather than straight on.   This takes a bit of experience to
accomplish on a regular basis if your ramp is affected by strong currents,
especially if the winds and currents are in different directions.  A "finger
pier" will be of enormous help to the new sailor if your ramp facility has
one.

>Whenever that happens, is the standard winch sufficient?
As mentioned above, the winch is merely used for final positioning on the
trailer.  It cannot haul the boat out of the water and on to the trailer.

Two recent discussions concerning launching are:
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Extension-bar-use-td19763121.html#a19763661

http://www.nabble.com/OK-so-how-long-should-it-take-to-rig---unrig-...-td18701615.html#a18705193

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)