[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Sailing the R22

bandkrhodes22 at bellsouth.net bandkrhodes22 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 20 11:57:29 EST 2009

Wally:  Ease of launch and recovery is pretty straight forward.  If conditions permit you could sail her on but we find that we either motor on or pull her on using lines with ease.  I have watched and learned from Stan (GB Owner) who makes it all pretty simple.

We take from 60 to 90 minutes to fully rig and de-rig; however, we take our time and double and triple check everything.  Over the years I have helped Elton (Brother of the GB owner) rig and de-rig.  We are able to do it in less than 30 minutes.  With the GB mast raising system, one person can do the job with one hand - I've done it numerous times.

We haul with a Jeep Grand Ck, FWD, V8.  No problems.  I have hauled to North Carolina and back several times since 1999.

We are on our second Rhodes 22 and love it.  We do keep her in the water as we find we use the boat more that way.  Dry sailing is an option that I am looking into as our local sailing club is obtaining property to support dry sailing.  Advantage here is that the boat is out of the water thus keeping the bottom cleaner and out of harms way when the cold fronts move through sending in high winds for a day or so.

Good luck with your decision.

Bob in Florida
-------------- Original message from "Wallace E. Bohach" <webx2 at netzero.com>: --------------

Before buying, am looking for some confirmation and info on exclusively trailer sailing a Rhodes. We're northerners, fresh water sailers, out at least once a