[Rhodes22-list] John Shulick - I draw a distiction

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Jan 25 23:43:48 EST 2009

Did you guys really get stiffed?? What in the world did you do, SELL???
My 401k went down in value (as did my IRA), but I didn't lose any money,
as I'm not cashing them in yet. Nor did I plan on cashing them in. My
401k was leftover from companies that did various levels of matching,
some as low as 30%, and as high as 100% matching. Even if I don't count
the gain they had over the years, the matching alone gave me more than
enough of a hedge against the most current downturn to have med them
"money makers" for me. However, they did increase in value beyond the
vested matching funds. My current employer too small for a 401, so we
have individual IRA accounts, to which the company does a 100% match.

An both sets of retirement funds, they've gone down in value, but since
everything has, it means the stocks the accounts currently purchase are
bought for less.

Of course, all of this is moot if I decide to sell now. I'm no financial
wiz, and just barely understand the simple aspects of all of this, but I
do remember advice I've heard regularly,

Buy low, sell high. Right now, I don't plan on retiring (which would
involve selling), but I do plan on continuing to put money aside or
retirement (in other words, I'm buying right now).

cjlowe wrote:
> --John,
>
> I didn't think anybody could pull me out of my political closet,but your last
> paragraph was golden.
>
> Your fellow working stiffed,
>
> Jerry Lowe
>

>  John Shulick <jsbudda at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Rik,
>>
>>  All I've Heard for years is the place to make money is in the market. Buy
>> and hold was the phrase I heard all through 2001, 2, 3, 4 and how well
>> people were doing in real estate. Seems the only people to benefit were
>> those who already had money in the first place. I'm so glad I didn't follow
>> their advice.
>> I wonder why all these so called "talented people" think they're worth so
>> much when their advise was so lousy. But then again I'm just a menial
>> laborer what the hell do I know about such advanced and subtle forms of
>> theft. Is that the true value of a higher education? To be able to
>> rationalize and explain away the destruction of the greatest country on
>> earth for personal gain.
>>
>> Thank you for your concern,
>>
>> John Shulick
>>

>> John,
>>
>> Ironic?
>>
>> Not sure what privately held SS accounts must have to do with the stock
>> market. Yep, GWB seemed to want to encourage people to invest their
>> savings there .... doesn't mean one would have to do it that way.
>>
>> Sorry for your loss, glad it wasn't as bad as some.
>>
>> Rik
>>
>> "There is no such thing as luck. There is only adequate or inadequate
>> preparation to cope with a statistical universe." ... Robert Heinlein
>> --

Herb Parsons