[Rhodes22-list] Fleet Sail In Puget Sound

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 17:59:48 EST 2009

Hey Caesar.  I think Chris has unsubscribed from the list for now so
we'll have to reach out to him off-list.  It looks that week in June
is my better option too.  It's hard to plan right now given so much
uncertainty on the work front - we are working very hard to keep our
people employed.  That said, let's plan and try to make it happen.

The best launch site I know of is at Magnuson Park on Lake Washington.
 Only downside with that is that you can't stay overnight there and
you need to go through the locke to get to the Sound.  Shilshole
Marina is right on the Sound and has transient berths.  I'm pretty
sure there is a publich boat launch nearby if not right there.  We can
start looking into that.  Can't launch at my marina unless you want to
step the mast after launching due to overhead wires, and they don't
have transient slips.

I will start talking to folks here about the route and timing.  I
think you woudl need a very long day with currents and winds favorable
all the way to do it in one day assuming you start from the Sound side
of the lockes.  The power boaters and big sailboats cross the sound
from Seattle over to the Kitsap Peninsula, then cross the Strait of
Juan de Fuca at Point Wilson.  The more conservative route is to head
up Saratoga Pass east of Whidbey and wait for the slack tide to go
through Decepton Pass.  Would have to put in for one night somewhere
along Whidbey.  Even more conserviative route is to motor up the canal
to Anacortes vs. Deceptoin Pass.

I've been advised that you need to get a radar reflector to be out on
Puget Sound.  There is a lot of commercial traffic and fog can roll in
quickly.  I bought one along with the blocks to rig it to the spreader
arm.  Still need to get up there or lower the mast to install it.

Dave