[Rhodes22-list] chewing rope

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 08:36:01 EDT 2009

Hi Rummy,
Prop wasn't hitting the rudder.  The only damage I saw was about a 4"
section of the line that raises the rudder.  But now that you mention
it, I did have some trouble that day keeping the rudder down.  I think
initially I had only caught one of the lowering lines in the clamp and
it didn't hold well.  So probably what happened was that when the rudder
wasn't fully down, the raising line was loose enough to get friendly
with the prop.  Rudder gets damn hard to steer when it's not fully
down.  Makes me wonder about how much muscle it took to steer those old
Sharpies with long rudders.  Guess that's why their rudders were
partially balanced.
I've got two hands also, but sure do like the extra maneuverability that
I get with the outboard steering with the tiller.  In a crowded marina
with umpteen million dollar boats to hit and lots of traffic, I like
being able to turn in a small space.  *grin*
Thanks,
Joe