[Rhodes22-list] Outboard recommendations

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Jul 10 10:13:37 EDT 2009

I would agree with Rummy if we didn't do so much motoring. In
deciding what to do consider where you sail and how you are going to
use the boat. If you are daysailing on a lake, anchoring out on a
small lake or racing and going back to the dock each night - I'd go
for the lightest motor you can find. We cruise and sometimes cruise
with others or arrange to meet others at a predetermined destination.
The fact that we may sail someplace and have to motor back or motor
to get somewhere factored into our decision to go with a 4-stroke 8hp
engine. Several times a year we end up motoring 4 - 6 hours in a
stretch to get somewhere or get back. We've motored over to Baltimore
(24 nm) to stay overnight at the Inner Harbor and take in a ball
game. Turns out that the Rhodes 22 is a pretty good little
displacement motorboat. The quiet operation of the 4-strokes makes a
long stint motoring quite pleasant. 8hp is enough to move us against
strong currents, keep us nose into a strong wind and get us up to
hull speed in a hurry to get us out of the path of an approaching
ship in a channel.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD