[Rhodes22-list] I just got my new old Rhodes

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Jul 13 11:44:20 EDT 2009

On Jul 12, 2009, at 14:05, Jeff Kantor wrote:
> Hi.  I just got a '73 R22 and have I got questions...
> motor mount's pattern.  However, it seems to oil can back there.
> This boat was manufactured with the engine well in the lazarette.
> The starboard backing plate actually covers more area than the
> reinforcement on port.  Does anyone have opinions or guidance as to
> where to mount my 60 pound motor?

I've never heard of an engine well on a Rhodes 22, but who knows what
mods may have been done to a 36 year-old boat?!  On a standard Rhodes,
engine mounting is on the port side and 100lb motors have been mounted
there successfully.  FYI - the starboard reinforcement is most likely
for the swim ladder, which may or may not be present on your boat.

> The rigging of the stays on my boat seems off.  The backstays are
> quite loose.  Many inches!  I have no traveller.  Nor can I figure
> out the backstay adjustment.  There isn't an adjuster per se,  Again
> the PO said he always ran them very loose, and felt the boat to be
> quite well balanced.  The halyard is boom end and runs along a
> traveler wire, just like my Sunfish and West Wight Potter.  I'd like
> to rig an addjustable traveler with car and wonder how that might
> rig and be supported by the aft stays.

It's not too difficult (or expensive) to build a traveller that goes
between the backstays.  I rebuilt the one on my '79 model and put some
photos online that you may find helpful.  It's basically a 1"
stainless tube with a length of sail track bolted on.  A standard jib
car attaches the mainsheet and adjusts along the sail track.  See http://www.relevantarts.com/pandion/traveler.html
  for details.  I can provide a parts list if you want to build one.

I believe backstay adjustment on most boats is accomplished with a
pair of blocks, one on each stay, and a line that pulls them downward
in unison (simple description).  As they move downward, the stays are
forced closer together, thus tightening them.

> The rig is a standard main (no IMF) and a hank on genoa of about 120
> size (not cut for R22, but borrowed from another craft). The jib is
> just a couple of feet short from sweeping the deck when it is flown
> to the masthead.
> Is there a pictorial guide to rigging the boat that I may not have
> come upon.  I have rread the 1988 manual that is available, but it's
> not a picture book so I'm lost.

I don't recall seeing any photos or graphics of the rigging online.
If you can be more specific with questions, those of us with older
boats can take some photos to help you get it right.

Cheers!
John Lock