[Rhodes22-list] I just got my new old Rhodes

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Jul 13 14:28:30 EDT 2009

Jeff,
I've got a '76 and I've posted these before.  See if they help with your
backstays at all. - rob

I've got the backstay adjuster here wrong, it should run to the cleat
next to the chain plate on the stern and not wind around the stay.
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200610/20/traveler
lower.jpg

ignore the bungi cords on these, this was before I installed a topping
lift.

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200610/20/traveler
middle.jpg

Again, I've got the adjuster wrong here, it should not be knotted around
itself but should run down to the cleat as described above.
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200610/20/traveler
upper.jpg

and this one comes from a another owner's boat with the IMF, ignore the
power line!

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080905/61a
dc600/attachment.jpeg

- Rob

S/V Getaway
1976 Rhodes 22

The rigging of the stays on my boat seems off.  The backstays are quite
loose.  Many inches!  I have no traveller.  Nor can I figure out the
backstay adjustment.  There isn't an adjuster per se,  Again the PO said
he always ran them very loose, and felt the boat to be quite well
balanced.  The halyard is boom end and runs along a traveler wire, just
like my Sunfish and West Wight Potter.  I'd like to rig an addjustable
traveler with car and wonder how that might rig and be supported by the
aft stays.
The rig is a standard main (no IMF) and a hank on genoa of about 120
size (not cut for R22, but borrowed from another craft). The jib is just
a couple of feet short from sweeping the deck when it is flown to the
masthead.
Is there a pictorial guide to rigging the boat that I may not have come
upon.  I have rread the 1988 manual that is available, but it's not a
picture book so I'm lost.

 Thanks,
Jeff Kantor
c. 917.825.5380