[Rhodes22-list] Boids-- stinkin rotten boids

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jul 14 16:56:22 EDT 2009

Rory,

Also, be careful with the materials used to clean up after the birds.  Avoid
bleaches and abrasives since bleach is toxic to aquatic environments and
abrasives will harm the gel coat.  If you want a "scouring powder", use
baking soda. To safely bleach, use hydrogen peroxide.

The following are some common alternatives to harsh chemicals:

    Toxic product               Alternative
    -----------------                -------------

    Detergent and soap         Fresh water and a lot of elbow grease
    Bleach                            Hydrogen peroxide
    Scouring powders           Baking soda or salt
    Floor cleaner                   ¼ cup of white vinegar in 2 liters of
water
   Window cleaner               1 cup of white vinegar in 1 liter warm water
   Varnish cleaner                 Wipe with ½ cup of vinegar and ½ cup
water solution
   Head cleaner                     Brush with baking soda
   Shower cleaner                 Wet surface, use scouring cloth with
baking soda
  Aluminum cleaner              Use 2 tablespoons cream of tartar in 1 liter
of water
  Chrome cleaner/ polish      Apple cider vinegar to clean, baby oil to
polish
  Fiberglass stain remover     Baking soda paste
  Drain Opener                     Disassemble and replace; avoid toxic
products
  Mildew Remover                Paste of equal parts lemon juice and salt
  Wood polish                     Use 3 parts olive oil and 1 part white
wine vinegar;
                                            almond or olive oil (interior
unvarnished wood
                                            only)