[Rhodes22-list] Partial Mainsail

MichaelT mticse at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 12:47:47 EDT 2009

Went out with the family on Sunday and wanted to play it safe.
Drew the IMF mainsail approx halfway on the boom (the letter R on the sail
wasn't showing).
Wanted to keep things simple and used no jib. Centerboard was down all the
way.
The boat stayed flat as a pancake which was the desired effect.
My wife wants no heeling whatsoever. Problem I had was I couldn't tack.
It even had a hard time getting into irons and just couldn't cutover.
The only way I could change direction was to spin 2/3's around in a jibe.
I didn't want to experiment and let out more sail so we just enjoyed sailing
the next hour like this.
Is this normal behaviour? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Michael