[Rhodes22-list] Partial Mainsail

david.walker5 at comcast.net david.walker5 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 24 15:26:18 EDT 2009

Michael

Questions aren't dumb if you don't know the answers.

Backwind the main by grabbing the boom with your hand and pushig it to windward. What the boat is doing with only the main is acting as a windvane. By angling the sail this way the wind will force the boat to turn through the wind with the sail still directly in to the wind.

Sternway is a fancy term for going backwards.   When you go backwards the rudder works opposite.

Dave