[Rhodes22-list] Re design of Rhodes Interior and elimination of compressi...

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Tue Jun 2 15:51:41 EDT 2009

John:
I have a Loos gauge that I use to balance the rig as well.  I think you have
your rig too tight based on the numbers you quoted.  In fact, I don't pay
much attention to the numbers I get on a particular shroud except as a
comparison to their opposite counterpart.

Stan has advised that the factory recommendation is "hand tight" on the
shrouds.  I would have to look at the Loos instruction pamplet again but I
believe that the recommendation from Loos is that the lee shrouds should be
at "zero" tension when the boat is healed over at its max angle.  Let's call
"zero" as being slack and anything less then that being "loose".  After
raising the mast, I go out and sail the rig a few times watching the
shrouds.  At max heal angle with all sails hoisted, I just begin to see a
little looseness, just slightly beyond slack so that I can see it.  I can't
get there with merely hand tight usually.  Don't tell Stan, but I hold the
top of the turnbuckle with a small wrench and give it about 1/2 or a full
turn tighter with my hand to get it where I want it.  Stan's hands maybe
stronger then mine is how I rationalize it.

Anyway, my rig is still basically "hand tight" but meets the Loos philosophy
of not going too loose and mast pumping.  My numbers are a lot less then
yours.  Who knows what kind of a rig Loos based their numbers on?
 Personally,  I would not use their recommendations unless I had a reason
and a keel-stepped mast and then I would loosen it every time I berthed the
boat.  I have already observed first hand what an over-tightened rig can do
to a cabin-stepped mast.  Maybe your top is OK now, but what about the
chain-plates that you can't see?   I think Loos is good for racers and
anyone else demanding consistent, peak performance and willing to pay for
the consequences.  I'm not sure that our boat qualifies as a "racer" though
I do pretty well against all the comparable ones on my lake even at hand
tight.

I don't remember my Loos numbers but I think I am less then half of what you
are at, maybe 180 at most.  I'll check them if you are interested in
knowing.

David