[Rhodes22-list] Re design of Rhodes Interior and elimination of compressi...

jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net
Tue Jun 2 17:48:38 EDT 2009

Great topic to open the season for many of us up "NORT". I have been
sailing for many years and now have a beginner's badge. "Tuning" the
rigging has always been a concern. Over the years my brute strength and
ignorance methods have created many interesting moments. My wife seldom
enjoys the thrill of sailing because of frequent experiences. The
shrouds have not been abused by me, to my knowledge. But, to get a
tight head stay and allow the furling system to perform smoothly I have
cranked in the split back stays so a pluck of the stay(s) vibrates a
three octive "C' tone.  Cool until you go below and the base your mast
support that is supported on the cabin sole (floor) is bowed downward
in a "U" shape. Oops! Live, learn and write the checks. This site is a
great resource of information, but, the information I get from our
tendor mates (Mary Lou) send to have more common sense and less
testosterone. Have GREAT summer. Jim J