[Rhodes22-list] Halyards

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Wed Jun 3 12:25:25 EDT 2009

R22 2009 with furling head sail and IMF.  Silly Question:  Does the main sail
and or head sail have a halyard?  I keep my boat in the water at a slip and
never really took a good look at the mast head rigging prior to raising my
mast. I can see a hollow groove inside the mast that houses the furling
mechanism but don't see a main halyard.  I suppose that the mast needs to
come down in order to remove the main sail.  How about the head sail?  I see
a grooved sleav that the head sail appears to slide into and assume the
sleave is only removed if the mast is down?  I assume the head sail can be
slid down and out of the track but I don' see a halyard?  Elton showed me a
red halyard that is stowed inside the boat and noted I should use this if I
remove the head sail.  Not sure exactly how the red line gets used?  I don't
need to take the sails down but am curious how it is done.  I am also
thinking ahead to storm season and want to be prepared in case I decide to
remove the head sail if high winds are predicted.  Is the small amount of
main sail exposed during a windy storm of concern?  I suppose the head sail
sheets could be wraped around the furled head sail to better protect the
sail from flapping, should anything be done to the small amount of main sail
exposed.  I am also thinking it would be nice to have an extra halyard to
fly a flag and suppose most are attached to the spreaders.  I also purchased
a 2.5 gallon solar shower and am wondering what to raise this with, penant
halyard or rig something on the topping lift?