[Rhodes22-list] Subject: Re: Re design of Rhodes Interior and elimination of compressi...

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Wed Jun 3 21:50:18 EDT 2009

Dave,

You have nothing to apologize for, I came to this forum to learn from others
and to report my observations about how my boat responds to various settings
and configurations in the hope of increasing the pool of knowledge about our
boat. I would like to see your settings and would encourage others familiar
with a loos gauge to chime in with their numbers as well. The Roger piece
was the only writing I had found that had any numbers to go on when it came
time rig my boat last year so at first I duplicated his settings and did not
like what I saw inside the cabin so I backed them down to what I have now
and the cabin eased up some. My boat also had the port side of the cabin
compressed due to probable over tension by previous owners. In the
companionway on the port side the fiberglas has buckled. When I installed
the port side bulkhead I jacked up the ceiling to force fit the bulkhead in
place and that straightened out the buckling in the companionway by a large
degree. The first week the boat was in the water the rigging had the slack
taken out but was loose otherwise. We got hit at night by a cold front with
30 mph wind gusting to 50 the inside of the cabin creaked and groaned and I
wondered if my modifications were a mistake. Week 2 I snugged the rigging up
some more relying on feel and not using the gauge yet. Then went out in 10
to 15 mph with gusts. Boat seemed fine. Week 3
brought the rigging to present tension checking with gauge. Sailing in same
conditions boat has no problems. Over night we were hit again with 30 mph +
winds and the cabin noise was much less. I will continue to monitor the
situation and will chime in on this if something happens.

John Shulick