[Rhodes22-list] yamaha 9.9 trouble

BenCittadino bencittadino at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 19:36:44 EDT 2009

So the S/V Susan Kay (93R-recycled08) is in the water for the next 4 months
after a winter in a cradle. She started right up and ran magnificently for
about a half an hour as we motored the few miles out the Shrewsbury River
(NJ) around to Sandy Hook Bay where she has a slip. However, as we cruised
along at medium to low power (fog & rain) the four stroke 9.9 Yamaha began
to die, fought alittle to keep running and quit. Attempt to restart
(electrical) immediately succeeded, and she ran beautifully for ten minutes
then sputtered and quit again. She restarted on the first push of the
button, but died once more before we got her safely tied up in her slip. I'm
at a loss except to say the gas was from last summer with plenty of
Stay-bil. The engine had an oil change and was prepped by the marina where I
stored her over the winter. They weren't worried about the gas (I asked).
Why would she start like a champ, purr like a kitten, then sputter and die
only to restart immediately?

I'm also becoming concerned about the engine cover cracking some as it
appears the attachment to the tiller is stressing the cover (I'm trying to
be gentle). I'm considering locking the engine along the centerline and
steering with the rudder alone.

 As a rookie sailor I must say I get a small charge out of the bridge tender
answering my call on channel 13 by calling me "Captain", but I'm told I am
easily entertained. Looking forward to a great summer, but considering
chucking the motor altogether.

Any thoughts?

BenCittadino
Highlands, NJ