[Rhodes22-list] yamaha 9.9 trouble

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 12 22:02:16 EDT 2009

Ben,
We will connect at some point. I had my motor cowl crack at the clip
near the front controls. After getting a replacement from Yamaha
quoted at a ridiculous $486, I spoke to Stan for a quick fix.
Fiberglassing was the answer with glass cloth as David recommended. I
sail and motor pretty hard a lot offshore, and always use the linkage
(8 years, 8-9 months a season). I consider it very robust.

Several of us have been using the Powerthruster <http://www.powerthruster.com/
 > which in itself is pretty amazing, but as an added benefit protects
the rudder from getting hit by the prop without the linkage.

I haven't kept up with the list much, but just try to get a looksee
when I can.

Jay

P.S. I keep my vent open all the time, but have a small plastic yogurt
cup with a 1"x1" opening to the back. During washdown and rain, it
stays protected from spray, which is critical to avoid with ethanol.