[Rhodes22-list] Cup Holder update

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Mon Jun 15 11:32:59 EDT 2009

I went out sailing on the Chesapeake bay Saturday and had a great close
hauled sail across the bay.  I recently posted a question about cup holders
and recieved a lot of great replies and ideas, droped a few hints with my
kids and the admiral for fathers day.  In the mean time I found Stans built
in beer can holder.  The base of the can fits perfectly into the table leg
base.  Note sure how much heel it would take to slide out but worked pretty
well for me Saturday.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p24036977/IMG_4599r.jpg

During my sail back across the bay the wind died down to almost nothing so I
played around with deploying the bimini.  I found that the boom was just
about resting on the top of the bimini so I took in a bit on the topping
lift.  Is this typicaly required to adjust the topping lift with the bimini
deployed?  the topping lift seems to have taken pressure off the clew of the
main sail and the shackle that attaches the clew to the main down haul came
loose.  I notice this as the main started to flap in the little bit of
breeze.  I couldn't get the shackle to close so I pinched it with a pair of
plyers and now it doesn't feel very secure.  I suppose I should stretch the
shackle apart so it has some friction on the pin when closed.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p24036977/IMG_4617r.jpg

Another maintanance item I noticed is that my forward stay seems too loose.
I can easily shake the furling headsail back and forth.  I undertand the
furling headsail has a furling drum that can be pushed up to access the
turnbuckle that needs to be tightened however I could not get the "luff
support pin" to pull out in order to raise the drum.  I don't want to break
anything but assume I need to try and pull the pin with a pair of plyers.
Has anyone else run into a stubborn pin?

http://www.nabble.com/file/p24036977/furling_drum.jpg

I am having a lot of fun with my new boat and enjoy trying to balance the
sails and the tiller lock for hands free sailing.  Enclosed is a shot of my
gps as the boat sails itself across the bay.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p24036977/IMG_4602r.jpg