[Rhodes22-list] Cup Holder update

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Jun 15 15:21:04 EDT 2009

Our boom just clears the bimini on most points of sail. It does rub a
bit closehauled but we just let it rest on the bimini. You also want
to make sure that your outhaul is tight enough. If you have a sliding
car on the boom (that the outhaul runs through), moving that may help
raise the boom off the bimini as well. As someone mentioned it
doesn't matter so much in light air and in heavier winds you may not
want the bimini deployed. In 11 years we've worn a couple spots on
top of the forward bow. We'll probably get a couple more years out of
it. We have found that that when the boat starts getting
uncomfortable  in breezy conditions that the first thing you need to
do is put the bimini down. That applies sailing or motoring. Makes a
big difference in the motion of the boat.

The shackle that you mentioned - I think that we have a clevis pin
with a cotter ring there but I'll have to go look.

No experience with the CDI furler so can't help with that. You might
try loosening your forward lowers and then tightening the backstay
using the backstay adjuster.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD