[Rhodes22-list] Too Windy--Now Centerboard Effect

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri Jun 26 09:44:56 EDT 2009

Last night I measured degrees to the wind with the Genoa both fully deployed
and also furled to the shroud in what I'd thought were identical conditions.
Can't say that I learned which points better but I did learn to quit
measuring things.

For all tacks:  poptop and boom up, full main, no significant chop, speed of
the current looked minimal, singlehandler with weight centered, tiller
locked three degrees into the wind (see exception below), traveler centered,
centerboard down, sheet lead blocks back to the winches, telltales flowing
(not visible with reefed Genoa).

Furled Genoa to outer shroud:  110 degree tack (pointing 55 degrees), speed
2.4 knots on starboard tack and 2.9 knots on port tack, apparent wind speed
7.8 knots for both.  Mainsail remained the same on both tacks.  The heel was
less than 5 degrees on both tacks.

175% full Genoa:  120 degree tack (pointing 60 degrees), speed 3.8 knots on
starboard tack and 2.2 knots on port tack, apparent wind speed 7.3 knots on
starboard tack and 4.9 knots on port tack.  For the starboard tack I needed
to pull the mainsheet in tighter and move the tiller from 3 degrees into the
wind to about 5 degrees off the wind to keep the telltales flowing properly.
The heel on the port tack was about 5 degrees but the heel on the starboard
tack was over 10.

So what did I learn?  Not exactly sure.  Obviously the conditions or my
description of the conditions were not consistent.  From the huge variance
in apparent wind it looks like the strength of the wind changed, but if it
did I don't think it was by much.  Per Rummy's comment about railmeat, the
135 lb. outboard with the extra Genoa caused the boat to heel more which
caused the trim to the mainsail and tiller which all caused a speed
increase.  I'm guessing that the 60 degree pointing was more like 50 degrees
on the starboard tack and 70 degrees on the port tack, but who knows.

I came off the wind to a close reach of about 75 degrees and raised the
centerboard and speed immediately jumped to over 4 knots, which makes me
think the wind speed may have increased some during my measuring.

Any other theories are certainly welcome.

By the way, it was a most excellent sail, which is all that matters.

One other condition that I failed to mention was that I was stone sober.

Lee